Child proofing… this is what I am doing this week to protect one of our daughters.
When we just moved here, living in our apartment. Early in the morning about 2:00am, I heard the front door knob jiggling and someone trying to unlock the dead bolt… I woke up thinking someone was trying to break in, so I grabbed my Nunchux that I have between the mattresses and went out to the front room. There she was… Taylor: escaping out the door. I found out at 2am in the morning, Taylor is a sleepwalker…. I was quite upset thinking how easy it would be just to leave out the door without Steve or I waking up. My solution: I found some Christmas bells and hung them around their bedroom doorknob and the front door, so I would be able to wake up when I heard the jingle.
The next “Big” incidence was while we were on vacation in California…
I woke up in a panic. I heard and saw the hotel door fly open hitting the lock that is on the top of the door (that will allow the door to open a little.) I tried to get Steve awake, but he was out like a log. I was still dazed and confused thinking the shadows that I was seeing was a stranger breaking in. “NO” it was Taylor, escaping again…
When we just moved here, living in our apartment. Early in the morning about 2:00am, I heard the front door knob jiggling and someone trying to unlock the dead bolt… I woke up thinking someone was trying to break in, so I grabbed my Nunchux that I have between the mattresses and went out to the front room. There she was… Taylor: escaping out the door. I found out at 2am in the morning, Taylor is a sleepwalker…. I was quite upset thinking how easy it would be just to leave out the door without Steve or I waking up. My solution: I found some Christmas bells and hung them around their bedroom doorknob and the front door, so I would be able to wake up when I heard the jingle.
The next “Big” incidence was while we were on vacation in California…
I woke up in a panic. I heard and saw the hotel door fly open hitting the lock that is on the top of the door (that will allow the door to open a little.) I tried to get Steve awake, but he was out like a log. I was still dazed and confused thinking the shadows that I was seeing was a stranger breaking in. “NO” it was Taylor, escaping again…
When we got home and I read some Literature on sleep walking and what makes a child sleep walk. I found out when a child is so exhausted and sleep deprived they will sleepwalk during the night. Now, looking back on all the times she wakes up in the middle of the night wondering throughout our house and does what she does, it totally makes since.
NOW… for the last 2 weeks I have been woken up in the middle of the night with all the lights in the house "ON". I questioned Taylor when she woke up in the morning and she had no idea about it she said “she turned off her lights before she went to bed.” When Steve came home from work I asked him if he knew why the lights were on. He had no clue. The last couple of nights I have caught the “light switcher bandit.” And her name is “Taylor”…. She sleepwalks at night, turns her bedroom lights on, downstairs lights, upstairs lights and then quietly goes back to her bed. I don’t know why she would want all the lights on in the house, but apparently she does.
I am hoping she will outgrow this….






8 comments:
That's crazy! I am glad she hasn't made it out of the door yet. That is pretty funny you keep numchucks under the mattress. I know I won't come over in the middle of the night!
wow that's lucky you have caught her before she actually escaped!! Good luck with that!
Yikes...that would make me so nervous too. Good call on the jingle bells though!
Taylor's uncle Jake was a sleepwalker when he was little....who knows maybe he still does it!! When Jake was sleepwalking, he would go through complete acting scenerios,..maybe he was having bad dreams too. One time Aunt Tif found Jake in the hallway...he was holding a deer horn (surprise, surprise) like it was a knife because someone was after him.
Gramma Gertsch
so much for steve saving money on the light bill! Good luck with that one...
Yikes! Like it isn't enough for us to have to watch out for their safety every second of the day?
NUTZ! My brother did this once-in a-while when he was little. My mom found him outside in freezing weather, almost frozen to death. SCAREY! He did grow out of if that helps you at all! I am still impressed that you have NUNCHUX! You are a bad "A"!!!!
That is crazy, my sister gina and a sleep walker as well, and they put her on a vitamin to help her to sleep better at night so she wasn't up sleep walking, that is so funny, way to go in attempting to take care of the bugler
Post a Comment